Thursday, February 01, 2007

Can you get auto insurance with just a learner's permit?

Insurance for a New Driver

You have to keep in mind that a "permit" holds more weight than maybe 20 or 30 years ago. In many states it really constitutes a RESTRICTED LICENSE meaning by legal definition insurance companies still can and to an extent are REQUIRED to insure you if you pay them and furnish the permit.

There are however many uppity high class insurance companies like State Farm or 21st century that won't insure someone learning who dosen't have a full unrestricted license, but they won't insure anyone for that matter who does not have 3 YEARS of VERIFIABLE, PERFECT (no points, accidents) of licensed driving experience. It is absolutely possible for you to get insurance. Check you phone book and try to find an agent. Depending on how old you are, the rates may be steep.. but yes not every company is going to deny you and WARNING: Your parent's insurance will not neccessarily cover you if you're not SPECIFICALLY LISTED.


In most cases, like what happened to me if there's a problem they aren't even going to ask to see your guardian's license. I know because I was in a major accident two weeks ago, and I have a learner permit and have for almost 20 years. They didn't even care to see my wife's lic. If you're driving, you're are still soley responsible no matter what restrictions are imposed.

More advice from other FAQ Farmers:
No. You cannot get insurance when you have just a learner's permit. You have to be a licensed driver. Until then, you should be covered by the insurance of the parent/guardian that you are required to drive with.

I have a Leaners Permit in the state of Virginia, I was able to purchase my own car, and start an insurance policy with progressive. With no one else on the policy but myself, So at least in the State of Virginia you can, the statement above is very true. It depends on state law, and the policy of the insurance company but yes i was able to do it.

Somewhere, somehow, there's insurance available to you, though as you've discovered, it gets pretty expensive (don't worry; that typically changes the longer you carry insurance and assuming you're accident-free).

Yes, insurance companies do insure people with just a learner's permit; however, these are typically teenagers who are under their parents' insurance policies. You'll find coverage.
Just today I tried getting auto insurnace with just a learners permit. I called 10 different places and noone could help me. I finally called Gindin Insurance Agency. They gave me a quote, it was expensive but at least they can give me insurance! So there are companies out there that will give insurance with just a learners permit.

Yes you can! I had my learner's permit and got auto insurance. Basically, my husband had car insurance already with progressive (he has his license). They just added me to his plan as an "unrated driver". It added $8 to our plan. Call them and ask about it.

Most of the time you need someone with a drivers license on the insurance policy. After that you can either be added as an unrated driver, or not added at all. I don't know about other states but in Illinois you are not allowed to drive with just a learner's permit, you need someone with a valid license in the car at all times while driving. Most of the time that's a parent, in which case their insurance covers anything that you do while driving with them.

I just made twenty calls today and was told that in MA it is illegal for them to sell me insurance if I only have a learner's permit.

You should as long as you aren't trying to use one of those super upscale companies like 21st century or State Farm - that require more than 3 yrs LICENSED experience and a SPOTLESS driving record. Look in your telephone book for smaller more domestic insurance AGENTS and what they will do is take your imformation and put it in a computer search engine to return you the most reasonable rate possible. 98.9% of these agents will tell you that it makes no difference if it's a permit because a license is a license, bottom line.

The condition you must be with another licensed driver is a restriction imposed, just like if you have an A restriction for corrective lenses or D for daylight driving only. It holds essentially the same weight and when you pass the road test your LIC# does not change either. I was involved in a MAJOR accident with a permit last week, (no I've never had a full license in the 20 years since I was 16) and I tried to show the officers my wife's license along with mine, and he didn't even care to see it!! I was cited, she was not and AIG, my insurance provider had mercy and didn't raise my rates. Like I said having a learner's license has little or no affect over everything per se. Whatever you do, just don't get caught driving with no insurance! :)

Answer
Hi, I'm a P&C Underwriter for a national direct insurance company. Some of the answers here are incorrect or unintentionally misleading. Keeping in mind that my observations will be limited to the auto contract that my company uses and there may be some discrepancies (but most contracts are very similar) here are my answers: No insurance company is required to issue you a policy. However, if they do they are required to pay out on any claims unless you the policy holder made a material misrepresentation when the policy was quoted to you. I do not think that neglecting to inform the company that you only have say 30 days experience driving motor vehicles is a problem, but if they ask you 'So you have a regular Virginia drivers license?' and you reply 'Yes.' it could be construed as you misrepresentating yourself, since a graduated/permit license is not nominally considered a 'regular' license. Most companies will order a MVR and a CLUE (comphrensive loss underwriting exchange) report on the spot on you so they'll know exactly what kind of license you have anyway.

To shortern that previous paragraph up: Yes, you probably can get a insurance policy with a learners permit so long as you tell the insurance company all you have is a permit.

[Referenced from http://www.faqfarm.com/]


---

No comments: